The Cocoa of Excellence (CoEx) Programme is the entry point for farmers to participate in the International Cocoa Awards (ICA), the only competition of its kind recognizing the work of cocoa farmers and celebrating the diversity of cocoa flavours globally. Every two years, this unique programme spearheaded by Bioversity International and Event International recognizes quality, flavour and diversity of cocoas according to their origin. The 2015 Edition has been celebrated at the Salon du Chocolat in Paris in October.
Key figures of the 2015 edition:
- 146 samples of cocoa beans received and carefully processed into liquor and untempered chocolate for blind sensory evaluation by a panel of international sensory evaluation experts.
- 35 participating cocoa-producing countries.
- The best 50 samples selected and processed into chocolate (68.1% cocoa). Information available below on the samples (producer, genetic origin and contact details).
- 26 professionals and experts carried out the chocolate sensory evaluation.
- 17 International Cocoa Awards celebrated at the Ceremony held on 28th October at 19:30 at the Salon du Chocolat in Paris, France.
- 28th October at 19:30 at the Salon du Chocolat in Paris, France.
The 17 International Cocoa Awards for 2015 are the following:
1. CoEx Code -175-Cote d'Ivoire, PIHI Lambert
2. CoEx Code -285-Cote d'Ivoire, KOUASSI Agahonou Juliette
3. CoEx Code -011-Ghana, Abubakari Alidu
4. CoEx Code -044- Togo, AKAKPO Mama
5. CoEx Code -282-Hawaii, Waialua Estate Cacao
6. CoEx Code -087-Indonesia, Hengkilianto, The President Director of PT Timor Mitra Niaga
7. CoEx Code -242-Papua New Guinea, Lower Watut Cooperative - Wals Cocoa Co-operatire, Fermentary Number LBA 332
8. CoEx Code -189- Solomon Islands, David Junior Kebu
Central America / Caribbean
9. CoEx Code -206-Honduras, Fundación Hondureña de Investigación Agrícola (FHIA)
10. CoEx Code -238- Nicaragua-, ngemann Fine Cocoa S.A.
11. CoEx Code -028- Trinidad and Tobago, La Reunion Estate
12. CoEx Code -105-Trinidad and Tobago, San Juan Estate
13. CoEx Code -140- Bolivia, Asociacio de Productores de Carmen del Emero
14. CoEx Code -155- Bolivia, Angel Tapia
15. CoEx Code -059- Colombia, Alianza Exportadora Tumaco, Conformada por las organizaciones - CORPOTEVA, CORTEPAZ, Consejo Comunitario Bajo Mira y Frontera
16. CoEx Code -020- Ecuador, Ing. Alicia Encalada Villacis.
17. CoEx Code -038- Ecuador, Asociacion Agricola La Fortaleza
The CoEx Programme aims to:
- facilitate linkages between cocoa producers and operators in the supply chains (cocoa bean traders, chocolate manufacturers, etc.);
- raise awareness all along the supply chain on the opportunity to produce high quality cocoa, resulting from genetic diversity, “terroir” and craftsmanship of those who prepare cocoa;
- expose farmers, chocolate manufacturers and consumers to the diversity of flavours that exist in high quality cocoa; and
- stimulate and increases capacity of producing countries to recognize, seek out and preserve quality and diversity in cocoa.